BELIEVE

Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.
Norman Vincent Peale

About Me

I am a 28 year old single mom of a 9 month old boy. He is my world and my life. Before I was pregnant I was in a very physically and emotionally abusive relationship. My son gave me the strenght to leave that man to create a good life for my child. My life has now become a matter of protecting my child to make sure the pattern of abuse does not get imposed on him so he is a "benefit to society" not a "menace to society". I am in the midst of a court battle for visitation and child support and it is taking all that I have to stay strong for my son. His father harasses me every chance he gets and is trying to take control back of my life and I won't let that happen. Please note I am not a counselor or psychologist; I am simply sharing what I have learned through my personal experience and time through counseling and groups to recover from abuse.

NEED A GOOD LAWYER? FREE HELP IS HERE FOR YOU

NO CREDIT!! YOU CAN STILL HAVE A PREPAID VISA!!!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010
So I usually have an idea of what I am going to post for the next week or so, but I am going off my plan here. Last night at my group session, we had a guest speaker and I wanted to share with you all some of the insight and information that she discussed and that I found to be powerful and helpful for me.

Our guest speaker talked about a case study done that is called "Resilient Adults: Overcoming a Cruel Past" By Gina Oconnell-Higgins. This case study looked at women who have been abused (mostly as children but the concept of domestic violence is still the same) who overcame their experience and became strong, independent, happy and loving adults. Some of the common qualities in these women are as follows:

*Resolved NOT to repeat the past and had a vision of something better for themselves
*They don't give into bitterness and have a high selfesteem
*They have "confrontation courage". This term I really liked. This does not mean they start arguments etc what it is meaning is that they stand up for themselves and confront the bullies in the world and those who do not treat people equally.
*When overcoming their abuse, they did not forgive their abuser, but they understand the abuse that occured and don't let it control them.
*They have become stronger and more effective because of their experience.

I find that these are great qualities, and ones that I strive for. If us abused women can look at our experience, and know that we won't let it happen again, and that we can and WILL overcome it to a happier life, we will be stronger, more compassionate and understanding because of what we went through.

I am going to find this case study and read the whole thing. I found it very interesting and intriguing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

HELP WITH ANXIETY

DO YOU KNOW YOUR CREDIT SCORE?

Followers